5.04.2011

jack kerouac's style

can best be described as ballin'.

(elaborating)
he uses a lot of words. a lot.

(more elaboration)
it's called expansion. (also seen in frederick douglass. fun fact.)
he uses a lot of made-up, wonderful words.

a book about a guy driving around wouldn't have sold at all if not for all those words.
they're the best part, mon.

sentence structure: long, usually. due to all those long words.

and in his sketchbook (which he wrote whenever he was stoned pretty much), he just pours out whatever he's thinking, and sometimes it's ridiculous, but that's okay, because life is ridiculous. oh.

MORE EXCERPTS:
"It was an ordinary bus trip with crying babies and hot sun..." etc.

"I went to sit in the bus station and think this over. I ate another apple pie and ice cream; that's practically all I ate all the way across the country, I knew it was nutritious and it was delicious, of course. I decided to gamble. I took a bus in downtown Davenport, after spending a half-hour watching a waitress in the bus-station cafe, and rode to the city limits, but this time near the gas stations. Here the big trucks roared, wham, and inside two minutes one of them cranked to a stop for me. I ran for it with my soul whoopeeing. And what a driver-a great big tough truckdriver with popping eyes and a hoarse raspy voice who just slammed and kicked at everything and got his rig under way and paid hardly any attention to me. So I could rest my tired soul a little, for one of the biggest troubles hitchhiking is having to talk to innumerable people, make them feel that they didn't make a mistake picking you up, even entertain them almost, all of which is a great strain when you're going all the way and don't plan to sleep in hotels."

No comments:

Post a Comment